Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I finished reading John

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." So begins the book of John, my first completed conquest in my attempt to regularly read the Bible.

This is a photo of my quiet time work station, complete with a steaming cup of English tea, highlighter, and Bible. I love the morning. It is my absolute favorite time of day. I like the stillness, the unique tone of the sunlight, and the cool air streaming in from our open window. Mostly I love the feeling of opportunity and possibility that comes with the morning.

I fully realize that this is a rather, let's say, belated accomplishment to be bragging about, considering the fact that I have been a believer in God and a follower of Jesus for quite a while now. And also the fact that my mother-in-law read half of John in one day...in Chinese. However, it felt like an accomplishment because I was able to consistently stick to a new routine in my life. My countless attempts at incorporating a regular workout schedule into my daily routine have more than proven how difficult a task that is for me.

I was able to enjoy these nuggets over the past few weeks, spoken by Jesus:

"When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me."

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

"This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is a great accomplishment! God's word is living and active and has such a way of touching us each time we read it. :)