Saturday, August 16, 2008

Visting the giant Sequoias at Mariposa Grove

I've always wanted to see the giant Sequoia trees. Luckily, we were able to swing by the park before heading home on Saturday. It took quite a while to make it into the park because it was a weekend day. We had to park at a supermarket, wait in line, and then take a hot shuttle bus packed with people about 8 miles into the park. But it was totally worth it!



One of my favorite parts of the trip came on the drive home from Mariposa Grove to the Bay Area. As we passed through rural California towns and watched the sun set over corn fields and rolling gold hills, we began to chat about God. It felt awesome to relate to my aunt and uncle as an adult believer. They were instrumental in laying the groundwork for my faith when I was a girl. In fact, I think the first time I accepted Jesus was under a tree in their backyard at a summer Bible study for kids. We played a game where everyone would ask each other questions about the Bible. Daniel gave us some stumpers concerning the order of the books of the Bible and the names of the twelve disciples. Aunt Nancy asked a piercing question about the difference of God's forgiveness between Peter and Judas. We talked about the meaning of baptism and the trap of legalism. It was an experience I will remember for many years to come.

No comments: